OUR SAN FRANCISCO STAFF
SUZANNE MARTINEZ, GG, CO-OWNER
Suzanne is a highly credentialed senior gemologist, jewelry appraiser, jewelry historian and the curator for our collection. She actively buys from sellers all over the world and in our store. Suzanne is also the founder of our Antique Jewelry University.
Suzanne started collecting rocks and minerals as a child, and by the time she was 13 knew that the jewelry world was her passion. For fun she makes enameled jewelry, studies natural history, Latin American cultural anthropology and goes on gem safaris with Starla.
Suzanne joined Lang in 1992. Her jewelry credentials include:
- Graduate Gemologist Diploma received from the Gemological Institute of America in residence at Santa Monica December 1978
- GIA Alumni Member since 1981
- GIA Alumni Chapter co-president since 1992
- GIA Alumni Global committee 1999 - 2005
- GIA Global Committee Chair 2005
- National Association of Jewelry Appraisers, Senior Member
- Accredited Gemologists Association, Accredited Senior Gemologist
- Accredited Gemologists Association, Certified Laboratory
- The American Society of Jewelry Historians, Member
- Association for the Study of Jewelry and Related Arts, Member
- American Gem Trade Association, Member
- International Colored Stone Association, Member
- Revere Academy – Ongoing student of goldsmithing
- Media adviser for historical jewelry articles
MARK ZIMMELMAN, CO-OWNER
A third generation gem and jewelry dealer originally from Los Angeles, Mark purchased Lang from its founder, Jarmilla Lang, back in 1991. When not traveling the globe in search of rare and beautiful jewels and synonymous adjectives for 'sparkling', he writes most of the jewelry descriptions for our website. He is also responsible, along with Rich Sigberman, for producing our quirky greeting cards.
Mark’s history in jewelry includes:
- Terrell & Zimmelman, Manufacturers of fine jewelry - at his fathers side
- Zimmelman & Sons, Dealers of fine gems and jewelry – Owner with his father and brother
- Frances Klein, Fine Estate Jewelry Beverly Hills – Owner since 1995 (the store is now retired)
- Owner of Lang Antiques since 1991
- Early adapter to the internet with the establishment of langantiques.com circa 2000
MARIA IBARRA RIVERA
Maria has always been a jewelry lover and she enjoys matching jewelry with people. Maria began her jewelry career in 1976 and over the last 38 years worked in wholesale, high end retail and auction selling all kinds of jewelry, diamonds and colored stones. She has been with Lang the longest and considers all of us her extended family.
Maria started with Lang in 2000. Maria’s experience with jewelry includes:
- Butterfields and Butterfields, auctioneers
- Cartier, fine jewelers
- Sue Trading Specializing in Jade and Pearls
- Z Jewelry wholesalers of Diamonds
- Bloomingdales Fine Jewelry
- Neiman Marcus Fine Jewelry
ALISON FLOYD, GG
Alison manages our vast collection of jewelry in store and online. As Merchandise Manager she also oversees the jewelry throughout the cataloging process from restoration to photography. She is passionate about customer service and helps our online customers around the world choose jewelry for their collections.
Alison joined Lang in 2004. Her education and jewelry credentials include:
- BA, in Art History, with Honors received from Hamilton College in 1999
- Graduate Gemologist Diploma received from the Gemological Institute of America in residence at New York March 2002
- Double Check Diamond Grader, GIA New York Laboratory 2002-2003
- National Association of Jewelry Appraisers, Member
- The American Society of Jewelry Historians, Member
ANGELA GRIGSBY, GG, GJ
Angela has worked in the jewelry business since 2004. She’s always had a passion for arts and crafts and found the perfect fit in jewelry. At Lang, she is the Repair/Restoration Manager assessing newly acquired treasures and coordinating their restoration as well as managing customer repairs.
Angela joined Lang in 2008. Her jewelry credentials include:
- Bonhams & Butterfields, San Francisco, Fine Jewelry Department Cataloguer
- Gemological Institute of America – In Residence – Carlsbad, CA 2003-2004 Graduate Gemologist
- Graduate Jeweler
- There she also studied Comprehensive Wax Techniques, Jewelry Design Advanced Stone Setting
- Recipient of the 2003 Milton Wolf Scholarship Award for Graduate Jeweler program
- She started a gemology class at The Crucible in Oakland California where she began making jewelry 2001. It is designed specifically for beginning jewelry makers and gem collectors
Cole comes to Lang from a varied commercial, academic, and fine art photographic background. His enthusiasm and abilities shine in the incredible photography he does for Lang. Cole joined Lang in 2010.
His education and photographic experience include:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Art and Design from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo; with an Art History minor from CSU Florence, Italy.
- Master of Fine Arts Degree in Photography from Utah State University
- Photographer for Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, Venice, Italy
- Exhibition Staff, Australia Council for the Arts, 52nd Venice Biennale, Venice, Italy
- Residency and workshop instructor, Kala Art Institute, Berkeley, CA
- University Photography Instructor - digital and traditional
- Twenty years of commercial photography experience, both freelance and in-house
- Commercial work appears in Travel and Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, Fodors, and Elle
- Fine art work held in a number of permanent collections nationally and abroad
JULIE KERLIN, GG
After 20 years in the business consulting and information technology fields, Julie followed her passion for history, art, gems, and jewelry to become a certified jewelry appraiser, specializing in late Georgian and Victorian jewelry. While the gems and jewelry are beautiful, Julie is especially interested in the social aspects of jewelry, the how and why it was worn and how social, historical, and technological events impacted jewelry. Mourning jewelry is one of Julie’s keen interests.
Julie joined Lang in 2011. Her credentials and jewelry experience include:
- Graduate Gemologist, Gemological Institute of America in residence in Carlsbad, California, 2008
- Certified Member of the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers
- Candidate Member of the American Society of Appraisers
- Member of the Gemological Institute of America Alumni Association
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Finance and Marketing, University of Denver
- One year of study in Vienna, Austria, focusing on International Finance, Art History, Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) art and jewelry
- Masters of Business Administration Degree, University of Southern California
CYNTHIA ALLEN, GG
Cynthia brings a passion from her rich and varied jewelry background to her position as sales associate, thoughtfully helping you select just the right piece of jewelry to fit your lifestyle or the perfect gift. Her interests include beads and their culture worldwide and gems and minerals.
Cynthia has been with Lang since 2011. Her jewelry and education credentials include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Cross-Cultural Communication from The Johnston Center for Integrative Studies
- Graduate Gemologist diploma from the Gemological Institute of America
- GIA Alumni chapter officer since 2008
- Fraziers Gem & Mineral Dealers, sales associate
- American Gem Trade Association, past member
- Bead Society of Northern California, past member
- Jewelry design and bench work
- Jewelry repair and restringing
- Studio photography
STARLA TURNER, FGA, GG
At Lang, Starla does the gemstone and jewelry grading and identification, the background work. She loves using the microscope all day long to determine the construction and metals of the jewelry, as well as the assessments of the gemstones-a perfect job in her eyes. For fun, she plays competitive soccer, enjoys time with her family, and travels the gem world with Suzanne.
Starla joined Lang in 2012. Her jewelry and education credentials include:
- Bachelors in Education from the University of British Colombia
- Distinguished (FGA) Fellow of the Gemmological Association of Great Britain 1982
- Graduate Gemologist (GG) degree from the Gemological Institute of America 1981
- Tutor for the FGA program
- Mentor for the GG program
- Revere Academy in San Francisco, Instructor of gemology and diamonds for 15 years
- Past President of the Global GIA Alumni Association Executive Council (1995 – 2013)
- Co- president of the San Francisco chapter of the GIA Alumni Association, since 1992
- Gemstone pricing advisor/researcher for an industry publication
NICOLE CORSINI, GG
At Lang, Nicole answers inquiries and gives expert advice to our out-of-town and international customers considering a special jewelry purchase. In her role as Marketing Manager, she coordinates all our branding and advertising efforts in order to spread the word about our amazing collection.
Nicole joined Lang in 2013. Her credentials and experience include:
- Graduate Gemologist, Gemological Institute of America (GIA)
- Women's Jewelry Association (WJA), Member
- GIA Alumni Member
- BS in Business Administration from the University of Delaware, Honors Program
Georgina is our sales manager at Lang. High-spirited and enthusiastic, her ebullient approach makes finding the perfect piece a fun and memorable experience.
Georgina joined Lang in 2013. Her jewelry and education experience include:
- BA in Communication from University of the Pacific
- 20 Years of sales experience
- GIA intro to diamond grading
- Custom Jewelry Design
- Fine Branded Jewelry and Timepieces
His is the first face that you see. Ronald “Ronny” Penn provides exceptional security with an emphasis on customer service for Lang. His background in Private Security Detail with the U.S. Marines and his dedication to physical training makes him particularly well-suited to keep Lang safe and secure.
Ronny joined Lang in 2014. His work experience includes:
- Security /Protective Officer for the U.S. Marine Corps
- Corporal, U.S. Marines
- Federal Protection Agent
- Combat Martial Arts Instructor
- Certified Personal Trainer
Ever since designing her first pair of earrings as a 19-year-old college student, Lisa has been a jewelry enthusiast. As Lang’s office administrator, she helps to keep things running smoothly. Lisa considers Lang a jewel of a place to work and, since joining the staff, has become smitten with Art Nouveau jewelry.
Lisa joined Lang in 2015. Her education and jewelry experience include:
- BA in Mass Communications from the University of California, Berkeley
- Five years administration experience in jewelry retail
- Completion of The Diamond Course through The Diamond Council of America
- Jewelry design and repair
Kaye brings thirty three years of experience in the fine jewelry business to Lang. She began her career in the wholesale jewelry importing business at Sue Trading Company in 1980. She later managed that company for four years. In 1987, she began as a design consultant at the Union Street Goldsmith, a designer jewelry store specializing in custom design. Kaye has always been moved by good design and fine gemstones and has a passion for pairing a beautiful piece with just the right person. She truly believes that jewelry is meant to give us pleasure. When you pick the right piece it will bring years of joy. In her spare time, Kaye enjoys music and dance. She is a singer-songwriter that performs occasionally in the Bay Area. She loves Zumba and is passionate about many forms of dance.
Kaye joined Lang in 2015. Her credentials and experience include:
- B.A.in Psychology from San Francisco State University
- Diamond Grading Certificate received from the Gemological Institute of America
Natalia is one of our newest members. Natalia is an exuberant Sales Professional who loves to match that special jewel with that special person. She considers herself an Engagement Ring Specialist and we agree. Her infectious personality makes your buying experience effortless.
Natalia joined Lang in 2015. Her education and experience include:
- Graduated from Commercial (Foreign Trade) University in Russia
- 17 Years experience with Estate Jewelry
- Fluent in Russian
OUR ANTIQUE JEWELRY UNIVERSITY STAFF
Mary is a GIA Graduate Jeweler/Gemologist with many years of experience in the auction world, where she studied tens of thousands of pieces of antique jewelry firsthand. Her unique non-jewelry skill set from inventory management, computer database design to computer programming complements her position as developer, writer and database designer with Antique Jewelry University.
Mary joined Frances Klein Classic Jewels in 2004 and antiquejewelryuniversity.com in 2008. Her Education and jewelry experience include:
- B.S. Criminal Justice and European History
- Graduate Jeweler/Gemologist (GJG) Diploma received from the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) in residence at Santa Monica
- Software Designer, GIA-Net Systems Operator and Course Development Programmer
- Gemological Institute of America
- Insurance Replacement Appraisal, Pearls, Detecting Treated Emerald, Ruby & Sapphire, Detecting Fracture Filled & Synthetic Diamonds, Identifying Challenging Synthetics, Counter Sketching and Pearl & Bead Stringing Certifications received from the Gemological Institute of America
Tim, a Fellow of the Gemmological Association of Great Britain (FGA), is the administrator and webmaster of our informational site, the Antique Jewelry University. He also teaches gemology at the Technical School for Goldsmiths in Schoonhoven, the Netherlands. As an avid rockhound, Tim loves traveling the world's gem deposits and gem shows in search of an ever-growing understanding of gem minerals. Tim joined Lang in 2009. His education and jewelry credentials include:
- B.Ed in History, Fontys, the Netherlands
- Fellowship received from the Gemmological Association of Great Britain in 2008