One of America’s oldest fine jewelers, Black, Starr and Frost
traces its roots to 1810. In that year, Erastus Barton and Frederick Marquand opened Marquand and Barton
near New York’s Maiden Lane. The firm added and lost partners numerous times. It also frequently moved locations in accordance with the addresses of its prestigious clientele. Its merchandise was eclectic and greatly varied including, lamps, jewelry, paintings, porcelain, and artistic objects.
In 1876, the firm changed its name from Black, Ball, and Co.
to Black, Starr, and Frost
, and moved to 251 Fifth Avenue. Its inventory became focused on jewelry and silver objects, some imported from Europe, some produced in-house. For many decades, Black, Starr, and Frost
was considered one of the great American jewelers. In 1876, it was invited to exhibit at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia along with renowned firms like Tiffany & Co. Whiting
, and Gorham
In 1939, the firm was one of five American jewelers invited to exhibit at New York’s World’s Fair.
While it was never an innovator in the realm of jewelry design, Black, Star, and Frost
has produced exquisite jewelry in almost every era. In 1929, it merged with Gorham
to become Black, Starr, Frost—Gorham
. In 2006, Alfredo Molina acquired the firm.