In 1837, Elijah Peacock opened Chicago’s first retail jewelry and watch shop. The store specialized in selling and repairing watches and also carried a small line of jewelry. Elijah taught the trade to his son, Charles, who later took over the business when his father retired after the great Chicago fire of 1871. Under Charles’s management, the firm changed its name to C.D. Peacock. Its business grew, and the firm moved locations several times until finally settling at 101 South State Street, its current location. Throughout the years, the firm expanded its selection of jewelry and by the turn of the twentieth century, it was known as an outlet for Chicago Arts and Crafts style jewelry. It is still one of Chicago's finest jewelers.