Kalo Shops Jewelry Maker's Mark

From Antique Jewelry University

Jump to: navigation, search

Kalo Shops

Maker's Mark Name/Period Location Specialty

Kalo Shops1.svg

Kalo Maker's Mark.jpg
Stamped Mark
Kalo Shops
c.1900-70
Chicago
• Workshops for Jewelry & Silverware
• Founded by Clara P. Barack
• Simple silver jewelry with natural motifs & visible hammer marks.
• Created jewelry and copper trays, desk accessories, etc. for there shop on Michigan Ave.
• Early designs were angular, later they were know for rounding edges for strength.
• Later added a full line of silver table items.
1914
• Workshop moved from the Welle's home to the shop at 32 N. Michigan Ave.
Later
• Purchased a building on Ontario Street for the shop and the workshop.
1936
• Moved to 222 S. Michigan Ave.
Designers
• Clara P. B. Welles
• George S. Wells
Apprentices
Julius Randahl
• Matthias Hanck
• Emery Todd
• Esther Meacham
Lang Antiques
Lang Antiques