(1837 – Present)
In 1837, Elijah Peacock opened Chicago’s first retail jewelry and watch shop. The store specialized in selling and repairing watches and also carried a small line of jewelry. Elijah taught the trade to his son, Charles, who later took over the business when his father retired after the great Chicago fire of 1871.1 Under Charles’s management, the firm changed its name to C.D. Peacock. Its business grew, and the firm moved locations several times until finally settling at 101 South State Street, its current location. Throughout the years, the firm expanded its selection of jewelry and by the turn of the twentieth century, it was known as an outlet for Chicago Arts and Crafts style jewelry.2 It is still one of Chicago’s finest jewelers.
Art Deco Diamond and Platinum Ring, by C.D. Peacock.
Maker’s Marks and Timeline:
Peacock, Charles and Elijah
Founder: Elijah Peacock e. 1837
- Charles Peacock (1838-1903)
- C.D. Peacock
- Chicago Fine Jewelry Retailer
- Arts & Crafts Jewelry
- Lake Street
- Randolph & Franklin destroyed in Chicago fire
- West Madison St.
- Washington St.
- Becker, Vivienne. Art Nouveau Jewelry. New York: E.P. Dutton, 1985. ISBN 0500280789
- Proddow, Penny & Debra Healy. American Jewelry: Glamour & Tradition. New York: Rizzoli, 1987. ISBN 9780847808304
- Sataloff, Joseph. Art Nouveau Jewelry: A Practical Guide to Its History and Beauty with Pictures of Over 150 Pieces of Jewelry and a Compendium of International Jeweler’s Marks. Bryn Mawr, PA: Dorrance and Co. Inc., 1984. ISBN 0805929150