Child & Child
(1880 – 1916)
An English jewellery firm known for Art Nouveau jewellery. In 1880, the firm opened their doors at Seville Street in Knightsbridge, London.1 While initially producing neo-Renaissance jewellery, Child and Child later created beautiful Art Nouveau and Edwardian jewels. Their bright, beautiful enamel work won them acclaim and even Royal patronage. Their pieces often featured peacock, insect, or wing motif designs and were typically fabricated in silver. From 1891 until 1916, Child and Child was located at 35 Alfred Place, Kensington.2In 1916, they closed their doors.
Maker’s Marks and Timeline:
- Harold & Walter Child opened their firm.
- Began as plate workers, became manufacturing jewelers.
- Royal Warrant for Queen Alexandra.
- Partnership dissolved
- Harold continued until 1916.
- Firm closed.
- Becker, Vivienne. Art Nouveau Jewelry. New York: E.P. Dutton, 1985. ISBN 0500280789
- Bell, C. Jeanne. Answers to Questions About Old Jewelry: 1840-1950. 5th ed. Iola, WI: Krause, 1999. ISBN 0896891151 (4th edition, 1996)
- Bennett, David & Daniela Mascetti. Understanding Jewellery. Suffolk, England: Antique Collectors’ Club, 1989. ISBN 1851494308(3rd edition, 2007)
- Sataloff, Joseph. Art Nouveau Jewelry: A Practical Guide to Its History and Beauty with Pictures of Over 150 Pieces of Jewelry and a Compendium of International Jeweler’s Marks. Bryn Mawr, PA: Dorrance and Co. Inc., 1984. ISBN 0805929150