New York NY
cartouche, circle, frame, mushroom
cartouche, circle, frame
Sam Kramer (1913-1964)
c.1939: Studied Gemology at NYU
- Opened the Studio of Sam Kramer
- Very influential in the Jewelry movement in Greenwich Village mid-Century
- Married Carol Enners – then trained her to be a jeweler
- Placed expression before technique
- pieces were often rough and irreverent.
- Combining surreal creatures and displaced body parts
- avoided Cubism and Constructivism because he objected to their geometry
1960 – 1964:
- Simplified his designs and created some limited-production pieces
Today: He is considered among the most significant American Modernist Jewelers.