Patek Philippe S.A. is a high-end Swiss watchmaking company which was established in 1839 as Patek, Czapek & Cie. by Antoine Norbert de Patek and François Czapek. In 1845, Czapek left the company and the firm was renamed Patek & Cie.. Adrien Philippe partnered with Patek in 1851 and the firm became Patek Philippe & Cie.. It’s present name – Patek Philippe S.A. – was introduced when Charles and Jean Stern bought the prestigious company in 1932. The firm is still owned by the Stern family.
Maker’s Marks and Timeline:
- Antoni Patek made pocket watches c.1839.
- Adrien Philippe invented the keyless winding system.
- Supplied watches to Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
- Created first wristwatch.
- Pioneered the perpetual calendar.
- Split seconds hand.
- Minute repeater.
- Purchased by the Stern family.
Videos on Patek Philippe
A very good video presentation on modern production methods of the factory: