OUR SAN FRANCISCO STAFF
SUZANNE MARTINEZ, GG, CO-OWNER
Suzanne is a highly credentialed senior gemologist, jewelry appraiser, jewelry historian and the curator for our collection. She actively buys from sellers all over the world and in our store. Suzanne is also the founder of our Antique Jewelry University.
Suzanne started collecting rocks and minerals as a child, and by the time she was 13 knew that the jewelry world was her passion. For fun she makes enameled jewelry, studies natural history, Latin American cultural anthropology and goes on gem safaris with Starla.
Suzanne joined Lang in 1992. Her jewelry credentials include:
- Graduate Gemologist Diploma received from the Gemological Institute of America in residence at Santa Monica December 1978
- GIA Alumni Member since 1981
- GIA Alumni Chapter co-president since 1992
- GIA Alumni Global committee 1999 - 2005
- GIA Global Committee Chair 2005
- National Association of Jewelry Appraisers, Senior Member
- Accredited Gemologists Association, Accredited Senior Gemologist
- Accredited Gemologists Association, Certified Laboratory
- The American Society of Jewelry Historians, Member
- Association for the Study of Jewelry and Related Arts, Member
- American Gem Trade Association, Member
- International Colored Stone Association, Member
- Revere Academy – Ongoing student of goldsmithing
- Media adviser for historical jewelry articles
MARK ZIMMELMAN, CO-OWNER
A third generation gem and jewelry dealer originally from Los Angeles, Mark purchased Lang from its founder, Jarmilla Lang, back in 1991. When not traveling the globe in search of rare and beautiful jewels and synonymous adjectives for 'sparkling', he writes most of the jewelry descriptions for our website. He is also responsible, along with Rich Sigberman, for producing our quirky greeting cards.
Mark’s history in jewelry includes:
- Terrell & Zimmelman, Manufacturers of fine jewelry - at his fathers side
- Zimmelman & Sons, Dealers of fine gems and jewelry – Owner with his father and brother
- Frances Klein, Fine Estate Jewelry Beverly Hills – Owner since 1995 (the store is now retired)
- Owner of Lang Antiques since 1991
- Early adopter to the internet with the establishment of langantiques.com circa 2000
ALISON FLOYD, GG
Alison is our Systems Manager and is responsible for collaborating with our team to manage all aspects of our website including content strategy and development, email campaigns, website design, analytics and web technologies.
Alison joined Lang in 2004. Her education and jewelry credentials include:
- BA, in Art History, with Honors received from Hamilton College in 1999
- Graduate Gemologist Diploma received from the Gemological Institute of America in residence at New York March 2002
- Double Check Diamond Grader, GIA New York Laboratory 2002-2003
- National Association of Jewelry Appraisers, Member
- The American Society of Jewelry Historians, Member
ANGELA GRIGSBY, GG, GJ
Angela has worked in the jewelry business since 2004. She’s always had a passion for arts and crafts and found the perfect fit in jewelry. At Lang, she is the Repair/Restoration Manager assessing newly acquired treasures and coordinating their restoration as well as managing customer repairs.
Angela joined Lang in 2008. Her jewelry credentials include:
- Bonhams & Butterfields, San Francisco, Fine Jewelry Department Cataloguer
- Gemological Institute of America – In Residence – Carlsbad, CA 2003-2004 Graduate Gemologist
- Graduate Jeweler
- There she also studied Comprehensive Wax Techniques, Jewelry Design Advanced Stone Setting
- Recipient of the 2003 Milton Wolf Scholarship Award for Graduate Jeweler program
- She started a gemology class at The Crucible in Oakland California where she began making jewelry 2001. It is designed specifically for beginning jewelry makers and gem collectors
Cole comes to Lang from a varied commercial, academic, and fine art photographic background. His enthusiasm and abilities shine in the incredible photography he does for Lang. Cole joined Lang in 2010.
His education and photographic experience include:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Art and Design from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo; with an Art History minor from CSU Florence, Italy.
- Master of Fine Arts Degree in Photography from Utah State University
- Photographer for Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, Venice, Italy
- Exhibition Staff, Australia Council for the Arts, 52nd Venice Biennale, Venice, Italy
- Residency and workshop instructor, Kala Art Institute, Berkeley, CA
- University Photography Instructor - digital and traditional
- Twenty years of commercial photography experience, both freelance and in-house
- Commercial work appears in Travel and Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, Fodors, and Elle
- Fine art work held in a number of permanent collections nationally and abroad
STARLA TURNER, FGA, GG
At Lang, Starla does the gemstone and jewelry grading and identification, the background work. She loves using the microscope all day long to determine the construction and metals of the jewelry, as well as the assessments of the gemstones-a perfect job in her eyes. For fun, she plays competitive soccer, enjoys time with her family, and travels the gem world with Suzanne.
Starla joined Lang in 2012. Her jewelry and education credentials include:
- Bachelors in Education from the University of British Colombia
- Distinguished (FGA) Fellow of the Gemmological Association of Great Britain 1982
- Graduate Gemologist (GG) degree from the Gemological Institute of America 1981
- Tutor for the FGA program
- Mentor for the GG program
- Revere Academy in San Francisco, Instructor of gemology and diamonds for 15 years
- Past President of the Global GIA Alumni Association Executive Council (1995 – 2013)
- Co- president of the San Francisco chapter of the GIA Alumni Association, since 1992
- Gemstone pricing advisor/researcher for an industry publication
NICOLE CORSINI, GG
At Lang, Nicole answers inquiries and gives expert advice to our out-of-town and international customers considering a special jewelry purchase. In her role as Marketing Manager, she coordinates all our branding and advertising efforts in order to spread the word about our amazing collection.
Nicole joined Lang in 2013. Her credentials and experience include:
- Graduate Gemologist, Gemological Institute of America (GIA)
- Women's Jewelry Association (WJA), Member
- GIA Alumni Member
- BS in Business Administration from the University of Delaware, Honors Program
Ever since designing her first pair of earrings as a 19-year-old college student, Lisa has been a jewelry enthusiast. As Lang’s Office Administrator, she helps to keep things running smoothly. Lisa considers Lang a jewel of a place to work and, since joining the staff, has become smitten with Art Nouveau jewelry.
Lisa joined Lang in 2015. Her education and jewelry experience include:
- BA in Mass Communications from the University of California, Berkeley
- Seven years administration experience in jewelry retail
- Completion of The Diamond Course through The Diamond Council of America
- Jewelry design and repair
Kaye brings thirty three years of experience in the fine jewelry business to Lang. She began her career in the wholesale jewelry importing business at Sue Trading Company in 1980. She later managed that company for four years. In 1987, she began as a design consultant at the Union Street Goldsmith, a designer jewelry store specializing in custom design. Kaye has always been moved by good design and fine gemstones and has a passion for pairing a beautiful piece with just the right person. She truly believes that jewelry is meant to give us pleasure. When you pick the right piece it will bring years of joy. In her spare time, Kaye enjoys music and dance. She is a singer-songwriter that performs occasionally in the Bay Area. She loves Zumba and is passionate about many forms of dance.
Kaye joined Lang in 2015. Her credentials and experience include:
- B.A.in Psychology from San Francisco State University
- Diamond Grading Certificate received from the Gemological Institute of America
Natalia is an exuberant Sales Professional who loves to match that special jewel with that special person. She considers herself an Engagement Ring Specialist and we agree. Her infectious personality makes your buying experience effortless.
Natalia joined Lang in 2015. Her education and experience include:
- Graduated from Commercial (Foreign Trade) University in Russia
- 17 Years experience with Estate Jewelry
- Fluent in Russian
Ed comes to us with over 20 years in the jewelry industry. An expert in custom design, stone buying and engagement rings, he has a new-found passion for all things vintage. Ed is a lover of pugs and an avid gardener. San Francisco has been his home for the last 30 years.
Ed joined Lang in 2017. His jewelry and business experience include:
- Multi-Level Management for a contemporary fine jewelry salon
- Small business owner
Elizabeth joins us as our new Sales Manager, bringing an extensive background in jewelry and luxury retail management. Her love of gems and minerals began at a young age, tumbling found rocks in her childhood home garage. A passionate collector of antique and memento mori jewelry, she has found her dream job at Lang. Elizabeth has been involved with the Union Square Business Improvement District for the last ten years, serving on both the safety and marketing committees.
Elizabeth joined Lang in 2017. Her credentials include:
- Graduate Gemologist Diploma, Gemological Institute of America in residence at Manhattan Campus 2005
- GIA Alumni Member
Emily is our Internet Sales Specialist and Instagram Content Creator. Her enthusiasm for helping our clients discover the world of antique jewels is infectious. Emily's background is in the luxury beauty industry, where she developed a strong eye for playing with color and flattering the face and form. Her passion for decorative history was ignited at a young age by her late grandmother who curated at the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco. Emily savors the challenge of finding fresh ways to style antique pieces, and is known for wearing diamond brooches in her hair.
Emily joined Lang in 2017. Her credentials include:
- 9 years of luxury retail experience
- Licensed Esthetician in the State of California
- Former professional Makeup Artist
Our in-house master goldsmith Lance has a staggering 46 years experience in jewelry design, manufacturing and repair. Lance will make sure your acquisition will be up to the highest standards of craftsmanship and durability. From humble beginnings as a silversmith at an Indian trading post to 22 years as master jeweler at David Clay, then the premium destination for custom jewelery in San Francisco, Lance has developed himself into a recognized master in his profession.
Lance joined Lang in 2016, his credentials include:
- Thanks to 24 years of Lance working there, Adobe Trading Post morphed into Robinson Fine Jewelery
- 22 years as master jeweler at David Clay in San Francisco
- Expert on platinum work, engraving, stone setting and jewelry repair
OUR ANTIQUE JEWELRY UNIVERSITY STAFF
Mary is a GIA Graduate Jeweler/Gemologist with many years of experience in the auction world, where she studied tens of thousands of pieces of antique jewelry firsthand. Her unique non-jewelry skill set from inventory management, computer database design to computer programming complements her position as developer, writer and database designer with Antique Jewelry University.
Mary joined Frances Klein Classic Jewels in 2004 and antiquejewelryuniversity.com in 2008. Her Education and jewelry experience include:
- B.S. Criminal Justice and European History
- Graduate Jeweler/Gemologist (GJG) Diploma received from the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) in residence at Santa Monica
- Software Designer, GIA-Net Systems Operator and Course Development Programmer
- Gemological Institute of America
- Insurance Replacement Appraisal, Pearls, Detecting Treated Emerald, Ruby & Sapphire, Detecting Fracture Filled & Synthetic Diamonds, Identifying Challenging Synthetics, Counter Sketching and Pearl & Bead Stringing Certifications received from the Gemological Institute of America
Tim, a Fellow of the Gemmological Association of Great Britain (FGA), is the administrator and webmaster of our informational site, the Antique Jewelry University. He also teaches gemology at the Technical School for Goldsmiths in Schoonhoven, the Netherlands. As an avid rockhound, Tim loves traveling the world's gem deposits and gem shows in search of an ever-growing understanding of gem minerals. Tim joined Lang in 2009. His education and jewelry credentials include:
- B.Ed in History, Fontys, the Netherlands
- Fellowship received from the Gemmological Association of Great Britain in 2008